It was clear that these problems had to be tackled. The Church responded by building four new churches in this part of Westminster. In 1844, the Dean and Chapter decided to give £1,000 towards the building of St Matthew's, Westminster. The foundation stone was laid on 8th November 1849, by Lord Robert Grosvenor, MP, (for Middlesex) and the church was designed by the local architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott. It was designed to have a spire but the money could not be raised. It was consecrated on 30th June 1851.