Shortly after St Matthew's Church had opened, St. Matthew's School was built immediately adjacent to the church, in St Anne's Street. There had been a Ragged school in Old Pye Street but this school with a church foundation offered a sound education. A training college for National school teachers was in Victoria Street.
The St Andrew's Club was founded in 1866 by a group of architecture students which offered sporting and educational activities for boys which was in direct contrast to the pickpockets' training college! The Club is still in existence in Old Pye Street and is the oldest club of its kind in the country.
Social improvement continued further with the construction of the Peabody flats or 'model dwellings' as they were known, which were financed by the city merchant and philanthropist, George Peabody. They are still being used for accommodation today.