The other major development in the nineteenth century in the parish was the establishment of Church House. It was at a meeting at the Mansion House that it was resolved that a Church House should be built as a memorial of the Queen's Golden Jubilee. Church House had humble beginnings as it was initially based in two houses in Dean's Yard. The leasehold of these was purchased outright by public subscription. The inauguration took place on 21st August 1888, on the occasion of the first annual general meeting of the Corporation.
The foundation stone of the Great Hall was laid by the Duke of Connaught on 24th June 1891. Great Smith Street also took shape even more, when in 1893 the new public library and public baths were opened.